Nothing says "I love you" more than a minty fresh homemade Valentine's Day Gift. Give your Valentine the gift of yummy fresh breathe with 4 simple ingredients. Peppermint Bark is not just for Christmas. It's always nice to get flowers, and chocolate-covered strawberries, but why not homemade Peppermint Bark? It's so easy to make and it lasts longer than chocolate-covered strawberries (it's cheaper too! Have you seen the price of strawberries at this time of year?!)
Check out the recipe below to make this easy recipe. It only takes about 15 minutes of prep time, and 2 hours of cooling time (you can do this during your kiddos nap time!). But the results are well worth the minimal effort. I choose to bag the bark in the pink Love is Sweet bag, but there are three other selections you can choose according to your decor. You can purchase these bags individually, or in a bundle as pictured below:
Homemade Chocolate Peppermint Bark Recipe
Homemade gifts show your Valeintines just how much you love them. This recipe will keep well for a couple of months, but I doubt it will last past Valentine's night.
Makes enough to fill 12 "Love is Sweet" goodie bags
- 2 cups of Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips
- 2 cups of Ghiraradelli Classic White Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp of Peppermint Extract
- 1/8 of Parrifin Wax Cake
- 1 cup of crushed candy canes or peppermint baking chips
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Using a double broiler (or fill a small saucepan with water, place wax inside a small glass bowl, and place the small glass bowl atop the saucepan) heat the wax until melted.The was helps to keep the chocolate shiney and prevents it from melting too quickly when eaten.
- Add the chocolate chips, stiring until melted.
- Add the peppermint extract to the melted chocolate and stir.
- Pour the melted chocolate onto the cookie sheet.
- Let it cool completely in the fridge for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, place the candy canes or peppermint baking chips in a 1 gallon zip lock bag. Use a rolling pin to either roll over the bag or lightly pound the chips to break them up. Also, print and cut out the Enjoy a Treat free printable gift tag.
- After an hour, melt the white chocolate chips using the double broiler method above. No wax is needed for this portion.
- Once the while chocolate is melted, grap the chilled milk chocolate out of the fridge. Pour the white chocolate atop the milk chocolate. Quickly use the spatula to spread the white chocolate evenly over the milk chocolate (you'll want to be quick because you don't want the milk chocolate to melt and blend with the white chocolate).
- Add the crushed candy canes/peppermint baking chips atop the white chocolate.
- Let it cool at room temperature for about an hour.
- Once cooled, break apart and place pieces into the Love is Sweet goodie bag. Staple the Enjoy a Treat free printable gift tag to the top of the goodie bag. Then, deliver your homemade candy to your Valentine.